Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Decidedly Unromantic - Top Ten Tuesday #7

Today's Top Ten Tuesday Topic is "Top Ten Characters I Would Crush On If I Were Also a Fictional Character". If perchance this is your first experience with Top Ten Tuesday, you can find more information here.

I don't know what twist of fate lead to the choosing of this particular topic, but I would very much like to find the individual who's responsible and dump a bucket of water on their head...

...and then fetch them a towel, because I'd feel guilty almost immediately after.  This topic is difficult for me as I have never had a "literary crush", or whatever the proper term for this phenomenon is.  Perhaps it's a girl thing?  It's not a guy thing as far as I'm aware - it certainly wouldn't be a topic for discussion amongst my male friends.  Whatever the case may be, while I can readily sympathize or empathize with a character, I've never romanticized them.

However, this is not an admission of defeat.  By modifying the criteria slightly, I have come up with a list that works for me.

Therefore, here is my list of "Top Ten Seven Fictional Characters That I Would Like To Meet... That are All Female" (Well, it would have been a list of female characters anyway, so why not stick to that?  Some of these would NEVER show up on a crush list though)

1 & 2. Lizzie & Mrs. Bennett - Pride & Prejudice - Mrs. Bennett is an unusual inclusion, I'll grant you, but some small, possibly suicidal part of me is curious about how long I could manage to stay in the same room as her without dumping a cup of tea on her head.  (Involuntary ablutions seem to be my thing tonight).

As for Lizzie, she seems the most level-headed of the lot, and would certainly make for a good conversation partner, provided the constant barrage of mad relatives doesn't prove too disruptive.

3. Vin - Mistborn - Anyone who has read this series knows how impressive allomancy is, and Vin is the most approachable of the Mistborn - the others being evil, disturbingly violent, or... well... stuffy (my apologies to any fans of Elend Venture).

4. Arwen - The Lord of the Rings - Tolkien's epic gives only an extremely restricted glimpse of Arwen, and Peter Jackson's film trilogy reveals no more, instead creating new scenes for her.  Off the top of my head, there are a total of four female characters that get any time on either page or screen and, considering Arwen's importance to Aragorn, I'd be curious to know what it is that drew him to her.  After all, one would hope the king destined to unite the free peoples of Middle Earth would have the decency to be interested in someone for more than just looks. 

5. Hazel Grace - The Fault in Our Stars - If you've read the book, you know why... and if you haven't read the book, then why haven't you?!  Seriously though, Hazel is an amazing character - not because she's some grandiose character, but because she's approachable and human.  She seems like the kind of person who you'd want to be friends with... even if she does watch too much reality television.

6. Nanny Ogg - Discworld - In many ways, Nanny Ogg reminds me of someone I used to know, and miss dearly.  Whether or not this is a compliment to my late friend, I'll leave up to you.

7. Tara - Teind - It might be cheating to include a character from a novel that I am attempting to write, but it's always felt more like the characters from my books just showed up in my head expecting me to write them down, as opposed to being mere constructs of my own imagination.  It would be helpful to know if I'me getting her down right. I'm probably not, but seeing as she isn't real, she'll simply have to deal with it.

And there you have it!  I apologize for the shortness of this list but I've been wracking my brain to come up with more and I am drawing a blank.  Much of the literature I've read has been targeted at men boys and as such, female characters have been either rare or barely developed beyond a pretty face to provide some colour to the background. If you have any suggestions for more books with female characters who have a larger role than the scenery, let me know!

If this still doesn't satisfy you, I've provided a photo of cats cuddling in order to distract you.  I hope it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment